Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tori No Mizutaki

Chicken and Vegetable Hot Pot is so simple and delicious!  I do not think that I will make "Chicken Soup" ever again the western way, no offense.  I did not have to de bone a chicken, which is something that I dislike.  It also reminds me of what my mom would make when we was little, bringing back memories of when all my worries consisted of what game to play next with my sister. 


I used La Fuji Mama's recipe  as a guide and used what I had on hand.   

8 cups of water
1 large piece of kombu {found out later from Mom that I should have used Dashi Kombu }
5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size peices
6 baby bok choy, chopped into bite size peices
4-6 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on an angle
salt
scallions for garnish

1.  Put the water and kombu {if using} in pot and heat over medium high heat.  Just before it starts to actually boil remove the kombu.

2. Add the chicken and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes.

3.  Add the veggies and mushrooms arranging it in the pot in sections and sprinkle salt over all.

4. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer.  Simmer for 8-10 minutes.  If it starts to boil to rapidly, reduce heat and maintain a simmer.  Skim off any scum that may float to the surface while the nabe is cooking.

5. Transfer to bowls and add ponzu if desired.

My oopsy for the night... boiling over pot and my beautiful little sections of ingredients started to mingle.  Try to keep it at a gentle simmer, if it is too high or rough it will break apart your veggies into little peices 
 

 Finished product ;)  I served it up with some rice, you can use noodles if you like.  That night there was hardly any conversation due to all the little girls mouths being full :) 

Ja matta ne,
Little Mochi

No comments:

Post a Comment