Monday, March 22, 2010

Yawata-Maki

When I moved out on my own my lovely Mom was worried about my cooking skills so while on a trip home to Okinawa, prior to the BIG move to Texas, she had me in the kitchen and sent me a great little cookbook. 

Unfortunately it was lost in the mess that life brings to a house and I recently unearthed it with delight!  The first thing in it that I knew that I wanted to try was Yawata-Maki.  Steak wrapped around asparagus and green onion pan fried in teriyaki sauce, all things that the munchkins and Hubby love.  YUM!


Okay here we go!

What I love about this dish is that it has simple ingredients and is easy to put together.

The butcher did not slice it thin enough for me today, no worries, I will just half the slice so when I roll it will not be enormous. Be sure to do a tad better job of slicing off the extra fat.  I used just one steak with an onion all the others were with asparagus spears, which the girls loved.

Oh, just a little note.  See how my toothpicks stick out?  Okay, not so great when you get it into the pan. It will not be able to roll around and brown on all sides. I had a mid cooking adjustment on these suckers.  Lesson learned :)


All in all it turned out beautiful and YUMMY!  The girls and Hubby agreed that this is something that Mamma could make again and again.  Love how my little adventures have tiny hiccups but 97.9% of the time they end up with smiles and full tum tums :)

Yawata - maki
adapted from Japanese Cuisine for Everyone

1 lbs thinly sliced beef sirloin or tenderloin
asparagus, steamed

Teriyaki sauce
2 tbs Veggie oil


Cut the veggies to the same lengths as the width of your beef slice and place at one end of the slice.  Roll up the beef slice and secure roll with toothpicks.  Saute beef rolls in oil, shaking the pan to evenly brown the meat.  Once brown pour on the teriyaki sauce; cover and cook on low heat till done.

Teriyaki Sauce
2 tbs grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbs sake
1/2 tsp sugar
1 clove garlic crushed

Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.

Ja matta ne,
Little Mochi

1 comment: